Call For Support – Kerala Floods
The unprecedented rains since 8th August 2018 have brought Kerala to a standstill. Over 200 feared killed and thousands are still stranded. The situation seems to be grim with over 9 lakhs people now in shelter camps and several properties damaged. It is a herculean task to provide relief considering the magnitude of devastation.
Institute (A Project of Sri Chaitanya Seva Trust) has already initiated the relief activities in Pathanamthitta district with our base camp at Thiruvalla.
- Food relief activities – 2000 plates per day for the last 4 days
- Medical relief – A team of doctors, nurses and para-medical staff are working round the clock to provide medical help to appx. 800 patients per day for the past 3 days. We have a medical team going house to house to attend to the older and immobile patients.
- Based on our past experience in Gujarat Earthquake, Tsunami, Uttarakhand, etc., we will be providing counseling – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- Water has started receding and we propose to continue the relief work in phases based on the ground realities and past experience in disaster management.
- We are in the process of identifying few villages where the community health centers/ schools are damaged and we propose to restore or rebuild the same.
Phase 1- Immediate (1-2 months)
- Medical relief
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This is a major problem and if not addressed effectively, it will have grave repercussions. This includes Bereavement Care and Counseling.
- Identify epidemics after the floods and plan control activities
- Basic household & immediate requirements in terms of temporary shelters etc. will be provided
|Support for 10,000 Victims||Amt. (Rs.)|
|Medical relief including medicines, counseling, etc. @ Rs.150 per person||Rs.15 Lakhs|
|Other relief materials like food packets and blankets @ Rs.200 per person||Rs.20 Lakhs|
|Essential items like torch, candles, Dettol, small utensils, water purifier, etc. @ Rs.150 per person||Rs.15 Lakhs|
Phase 2 (After 2 months)
- We also propose to provide rehabilitation to the flood victims including building/ repairing community centers & schools.
- We propose to provide school bus/ van/ mobile clinic
- We propose to adopt 2 villages and provide medical services, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and ration items.
- Education and future prevention initiatives